Monday 7 January 2013

Aioli

I've been trying to think what would be the perfect recipe to kick this whole thing off. I've got some biscuits in mind that I want to have a go at making, but since I don't bake that often it might be a bit misleading. I'm still kind of full from Christmas so I don't want to do anything too extravagant, and I definitely don't want to do anything too light and 'healthy' because 1) it's cold outside, I'm not eating a salad, and 2) I don't want to inadvertently encourage people to do the whole January diet thing, as it always creeps me out a bit. I mean, it's fine if you want to, but the idea that you're supposed to is everywhere you look right now, and bollocks if I'm going to contribute to that.

Finally I decided to just write about what I've got in my fridge right now, and right now I'm working my way through a large tupperware tub of aioli.


Aioli (garlic mayonnaise) is something I've only started making recently. I used to be put off by the fact that you can really only make it in quite large batches, and I didn't think I'd use all that much of it. I have now got around that problem by using it on everything. I have it in sandwiches, on toast, as a dip, and over poached eggs. Almost every snack I've had recently features it in some way. It's also great to have with breakfast, partly because the punchy garlic really wakes you up, but mostly because it feels like you're making a liberating anti-social statement. 'Screw you, the world, and deal with my garlic breath for the whole day. Mwahaha'.

You can make this by hand with a whisk, but a food processor is easiest.

You will need:

250ml vegetable oil
250ml olive oil
1 egg
2 - 3 garlic cloves
2 - 3 tbsp cider or white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to season. You may also like to try adding a little mustard powder, or some chopped herbs.

Blitz the garlic in the food processor until roughly chopped. Add the egg, and blitz until foamy. Add the vinegar, and start up the processor again. As it runs, add the oils in a long thin stream, going especially slowly to start. Once it's all incorporated stop and check for seasoning.

And that's it. As I said before this makes quite a lot, but I've always managed to finish it within two or three weeks, so let's say that's how long it lasts, shall we? I adapted this basic recipe from a Cordon Bleu cooking techniques book, but they use a lot more oil. Since I prefer it a little thicker and richer (and also I was running low on oil) I found that this amount works for me but by all means add more if you want to. Obviously this contains raw egg so avoid it if you don't think you should eat raw egg.

There we have it, the first recipe of the new blog! It tastes good, and it encourages people to avoid you. Symbolic, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment