Friday 28 June 2013

No Cream Chocolate Sauce

Chocolate sauce is not difficult to make. Melt some chocolate in some cream. There. Done. Oof.

What? You want to make it without cream in it? Why? Because you're having it with a rich dessert and don't want it to be too fatty? Also you don't want to go to the shops and buy cream because it looks like it might rain? Christ, that's no sort of excuse. I've just given you a perfectly good way to make chocolate sauce and you've thrown it right back at me. You're too picky, that's your problem.

Fine. I'll look it up on the internet...

OK, here's one. It's a bit complicated, but basically you make a a syrup with cocoa powder and... Wait, what?

You want to make it with chocolate because you don't like cocoa powder? What the hell is wrong with you?

FINE I GUESS I'LL JUST MAKE A NEW RECIPE UP MYSELF.

You will need:

100g plain chocolate
250ml water
3 tbsp golden syrup
1 shot liqueur or flavoured alcohol. Cointreau is ideal.

Break the chocolate into pieces. Put all the ingredients in a small saucepan, and slowly melt the chocolate. Keep the saucepan on a low heat and stir continuously until the chocolate has completely emulsified, the water reduced, and the sauce has become smooth and glossy (up to 15 minutes).

This can be served hot or cold, but I prefer it cold as it stays nice and thick.


Happy now? Probably not. God, you make me sick.

2 comments:

  1. If I could 'like' this post, I would. As it is I'll just have to like it. Also glad to have learned a little about pearl barley (which I enjoy as an accompaniment to chicken).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm entirely fine with unquantified approval, so thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete