Wednesday 25 June 2014

Bluegrass Soy Sauce

My brother's mother-in-law came to the UK for a visit recently. She's from Louisville, Kentucky, and she's a gem. As she knows I like food and food related foodstuffs for fooding, she very generously brought me a dinky little bottle of Bluegrass Soy Sauce.

Told ya.

This is made in Kentucky, in the US's only soy sauce microbrewery. Apparently that's a thing. It's aged in old bourbon barrels, and it's fancy as balls.

Now, I like soy sauce, but in my experience it's rarely anything more than brown salty water. Written down that looks kind of gross, but it fills a need. The need for brown salty water. But the Kentucky stuff, I've got to hand it to them, this stuff is cool. It's smoother, less salty, and muuuuuch more complex. Smoky and spicy and tasty. Well played, America. Well played. As far as I can tell it's not available in the UK, but we must have some comparatively fancy soy sauces? Right? No, no probably not. In a way it's a shame that I was given this free taster of a high end product to get me hooked, ensuring I keep coming ba- waaaaait just a second. Carla, you sly fox.

I have a standard recipe for a meat marinade that I use quite a lot, but that's for regular soy sauce, not fancy soy sauce. I pared it down in this instance so you could taste the soy more. If you happen to have some fancy soy sauce, use this version. If not, add some grated ginger, a pinch of chinese five spice, and half a teaspoon of liquid smoke (if you have it).

You will need:

1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp rice wine or white wine vinegar
3 tbsp fancy soy sauce
1 clove crushed garlic
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon crushed chilli flakes
1 tsp tomato puree

Mix everything together, and use immediately. Phew.

I use this as a marinade for all types of meat, but mainly chicken or belly pork. This time round I had some diced turkey. I let the meat sit in the marinade overnight before making skewers with onions and peppers, and cooked them on a griddle. I poured any remaining marinade over the top while cooking so that it would thicken into a nice glaze.


It worked exceptionally well. Turkey is already quite a smooth meat, so the marinade kept it nice and soft and stopped it from drying out.

Bluegrass Soy Sauce, then. I'd recommend you try it, but I'm not sharing sooo...Well. The weather's nice, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment